Monday, October 30, 2006

Coretan Syawal

Today is the seventh day of Syawal and the first day I am back at work. Checked my inbox for one week's old of incoming e-mails and let out a sigh of relief that there was no pressing matters that requires my immediate attention or action. Decided to reply some of the e-mails anyway and get some outstanding matters out of the way as I will be busy with the final details of the company's first Annual Dinner & Dance which is just 2 weeks away. The committee members have decided to do a brief performance as part of the opening gambit that night and we have yet to practise together-gether. Luckily the performers we engaged have agreed to help us out with the dance steps at their dance studio.

Earlier in the morning on the way to work, dropped by at Liza's place to give goodbye hugs and kisses to my niece and nephew before they leave for KK that morning. Asheen was in her usual chirpy mood whilst Noah was grumpy having woken from his sleep very early in the morning. Managed to get to work on time despite of the usual heavy morning traffic.

Reminiscing the last few days of Ramadhan in preparation of Syawal, I started baking Raya biscuits the morning I arrived in TI and Kema took over the kitchen in the afternoon. Started with Badam Potong (2nd pic from left) followed by Mata Kucing (3rd pic from left) and Mandarin cupcake (1st pic from left) whilst Kema made the rest, Coklat Gajus (3rd pic from left) and cornflakes (5th pic from left). Tried to bake marble cake but for a certain reason, it did not turn out the way it was supposed to be. Liza is the one who is good at baking cakes but this year for a reason oblivious to any of us, dia mogok. Luckily there was another cake given to Mak by her friend and a cheese cake from one of Kema's clients.


First day of Syawal was the same as the previous years. The day started with sembahyang Raya at the mosque, asking forgiveness from Mak and my other siblings and headed to onyang's house which is about 15 minutes drive to meet with the rest of my relatives. That night, everybody adjourned to my house and we had belated birthday party for Asheen and Noah. Asheen's birthday was in September whilst Noah's in October. I only went to the cemetry to visit Abah, Onyang, Tok and Tok Alang's graves on the 3rd of Syawal as it was packed with people with cars parked alongside the road on the first 2 days of Syawal.

Started going to my relatives' open house on the Saturday I came back to KL and on Oct 31, I will be holding a joined open house with Liza at Armanee, Damansara Damai. Other than my relatives, I invited a few close friends and bloggers who are in town. Look forward to meeting friends I had not seen for quite sometime except via e-mail or phone and also fellow bloggers I am meeting for the first time.


4 comments:

Xis said...

Nurul
thanks for the badam potong.. and other kuih raya in pic look delicious as well.. nanti tahun depan nak order boleh??

Anonymous said...

wah nurul nampaknye those who came to ur party dpt cenderahati biskut raya ke?sampai si xis ni nak order badam potong. tp i teringin nak rasa mcmn mandarin cupcake nampak sodap je cherry tu...

Nurul Abid said...

Xis - insyaallah, kalau panjang umur kite. Badam potong tu has sentimental value. It's my late dad's favorite.

Shahril - actually, bukan semua dapat. Xis, Rush & Tyah teringin nak rase when I mentioned about it in Rush's cbox. So, I buat ler 4 diorg aje. Kalau u nak, I can give recipe mandarin cupcake 2 to bila my mum balik TI sbb recipe 2 kat kg and my mum is in KL.

Anonymous said...

nyesal rasanye tak mai open house SPK. klu tak, dapat gak merasa badam potong. biskut tu nampak familiar tp tak pernah dengar name die & mandarin cupcake as well. boleh gak bagi recipe mandarin cupcake & i can ask my sister to try out the recipe since she likes baking cake & biscuits.