Saturday, November 11, 2006

I'll Be Here Tonite!


I was busy making final preparation for the company annual dinner yesterday morning which will be held that very night when when n ex-colleague called and said she has free tickets for the above play. We got good seats as one of the sponsors is my former employer. I have read about the play in the local newspaper and found it intriguing but just did not have the time find out more about the play and organize with the usual comrades to go and see the play due to my busy schedule with office work and personal matters. Not exactly a cultured person who religiously follow and watch whatever play which is on but once in while the usual comrades and I will just catch several interesting plays at these theatres. Below is the synopsis of the play:-

"Florence unexpectedly breaks up with her husband. Despondent, she determines to kill herself but is saved by her friend Olive. With nowhere else to go, Florence is urged by Olive to move in with her, at least for a while. The only problem is that Florence is anally retentive, neat, tidy and neurotic, whereas Olive is slovenly, casual and an absolute slob. In adapting this script from the play that made his career, Neil Simon investigates the conditions of friendship minus testosterone. The end result is this rare, side-splitting version of two completely opposite characters trying to share the same apartment"

What I think of this play......wait till I watch it tonight.

November 12, 2006 @ 9.22 a.m.

We arrived at KLPac just at the nick of time as when we left my friend's house after my Maghrib prayer only to find that there was a bit of jam on the road going out of Subang Jaya. The initial plan was to have dinner before the play but since we were running late, we skipped dinner and went into the theatre with empty stomachs. Dinner will have to wait.

Although I do not know how is the original version of this Neil Simmon's piece but obviously, the director has incorporated some local elements in the play. Yeah....it's funny and I particularly like Olive's witty character played by Bernie Chan and one of her kaki buddies, Veera, the sweet, naive and so 'duh' character played by Elaine Daly. I wouldn't consider it as a MUST SEE play but only if YOU-HAVE-NOTHING-BETTER-TO-DO. I'll give it three stars out of five.

12 comments:

Azer Mantessa said...

have a good time :-)

13may said...

Hello:)
Tetiba saja tersesat kat sini...
Btw, enjoy the show!

Nurul Abid said...

Azer - the lines were witty. The play takde climax ler and it kinda ended abruptly. Heard Jit Murad's Goldrain and Hailstorm was good. Missed it though.

13may - sesat? Tak pakai compass ke? Anyway, thanks for letting me know you were here.

Anonymous said...

Nurul
this song - Aku Bukan Untukmu by Rossa... you know what.. It brings tears to my eyes.. esp with what I'm going through right now.. "sekarang kau pergi menjauh, sekarang kau tinggalkan aku, di saat ku mulai mengharapkanmu.. dan ku mohon kau maafkan aku.."

Nurul Abid said...

Xis - actually this song brings back memories to me. I laughed & ignored a friend's proposal thinking he was just joking sampai dia menjauhkan diri. Hope u bersabar, ujian Tuhan menguji hambaNya, berdoa agar si dia terbuka hati beri kemaafan dan supaya Allah beri kekuatan dan ketabahan mengharungi ujian ini.

Anonymous said...

Nurul
any new posts coming up soon? Just dropping by to say hi... :)

Azhar Ahmad said...

Seriously i want to attend this theater. But didnt hv much time to spend....

Nurul Abid said...

Xis - feeling a little bit desolate and in low spirit for the past 2 weeks. I will post something soon. Thanks for dropping by though.

Azhar - don't worry, you did not miss a thing. I was quite disappointed actually, nasib baik free. Hope they will bring back Goldrain & Hailstorm by Jit Murad. Heard it was good. Anyway, I have been following your blog. Very honest, touching as well as eye opening writings.

Anonymous said...

Nurul
maybe that desolation has its story to share or tell.. I'll wait for your new post. Just don't get depressed like me.. yes.. I mean.. depressed.. Take care...

Nurul Abid said...

Xis - I will keep it to myself, at least at this point. I have always been described as a strong and practical person with positive mind especially through difficult times. I am ok, life's like that. You don't always get what your heart desires or what your heart desires may not be what's best for you. Thanks for the advice though...

pugly said...

So, how was the play? Worth seeing?

Nurul Abid said...

Pugly - only if you have nothing better to do.